tajeco

Can anyone recommend music with the depth of John's?

37 posts in this topic

ive been listening a lot recently to the roots new album "undun" its a concept album and actually reminds me of the empyrean in places with the use of electric piano and strings, its deep stuff, some beautiful instrumentals in it as well.

Cat Stevens - I highly recommend Teaser And The Firecat!

/>Residents- By far the most freaked out fucked up strange band I have the privlage to say I have seen live. They have been playing for 40+ years and have COUNTLESS albums. I think they have released more then 1 album every year since 1969. They are all anonymous. They generally consist of four guys(or girls) in eyeball suits. Who knows if the members have been constant? CHECK IT OUT!

Can you make a post about them and write about seeing them live in the General Music Forum, please, please? My chance of witnessing such greatness equals snowball's chance in hell. :)/>

/>

Ones not mentioned would be: Luke Abbott, Caribou, Gil-Scott Heron, J Dllla, Jeff Beck, Boards of Canada

Caribou, totally! A great and humble guy with great depths in his music, both lyrically and instrumentally.

I filmed this in 2010...not the greatest video quality as the venue is horrible and I was literally standing where I could sniff his white-socked feet so I had to keep the camera high above my head, but just look at the things he's doing live. Splendid!

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiriaQFrxL8&hd=1

your a very lucky girl!

/>I more than like the names mentioned above (Frith, Eno, Belew, Talking Heads, Amon Düül II and so on), but what the he…xagon is this “depth”? Is it a new concept for “music I like besides Frusciante’s”?

Cause I am swimming in some pretty deep waters now for not getting it… It seems I’ve missed something essential. And I have studied every line! :D/>

Well, I guess the trouble is "depth" means something different to everybody. When I had read the first post, I was thinking in terms of touching on similar levels of issues (life, death, philosophy, spirituality, etc.) from unique perspectives. But I suppose we all probably have our own sense of that word, so who knows?

/>

Residents- By far the most freaked out fucked up strange band I have the privlage to say I have seen live. They have been playing for 40+ years and have COUNTLESS albums. I think they have released more then 1 album every year since 1969. They are all anonymous. They generally consist of four guys(or girls) in eyeball suits. Who knows if the members have been constant? CHECK IT OUT!

Can you make a post about them and write about seeing them live in the General Music Forum, please, please? My chance of witnessing such greatness equals snowball's chance in hell. :)/>

I would be happy to do this for you. When I have some free time I will do a little write up. Living in Toronto last year I was lucky to see a lot of bands I never get to see in Ottawa(everyone skips us to go to Toronto or Montreal)

/>your a very lucky girl!

If you want, I can write about that show, I have a vivid memory of it. ;)/> A year and a half ago tomorrow.

/>

I would be happy to do this for you. When I have some free time I will do a little write up. Living in Toronto last year I was lucky to see a lot of bands I never get to see in Ottawa(everyone skips us to go to Toronto or Montreal)

Woo-hoo!

... in terms of lyrics i would recommend peter doherty.

he´s a real poet.

Jackson C. Frank. Every song from him is so, so special.

(

)

Nick Drake.

(

)

Laura MarlingThis performance from Abbey Road is incredible.

(

)

Vashti Bunyan. Especially her early songs.

(

)

Zbigniew Preisner. This video fits so well. I love it.

(

)

Michael Andrews.

(

)

So here you've got my propositions :)/> I hope you like it.

I would like to recommend music that is indisputably music, but, if you have not yet read Iva's poetry it is like music. Like John's works it feels personal, and also it can take flight and feel connected to your life although she does not know you. It also has the benefit of really being under the radar, if no one really knew John his music would be different, although I love how it is. To me Iva's poem story in progress Wrong Star is like a Frusciante concept that he would love if he knew about it. :flowers:/>