tajeco

Can anyone recommend music with the depth of John's?

37 posts in this topic

Sorry if there's a thread like this already, I must've missed it.

By depth, I don't mean a lot of material, I mean depth of thought, like meditating. It's great when artists go beneath the surface like Frusciante. George Harrison is also great, especially the Brainwashed cd, lyrics like "Universe at play, inside your DNA, you're a billion years old, today". And George/The Beatles with "Within You Without You".

With rap, Wu-Tang had a lot, and Wu affiliate Killah Priest's Heavy Mental has depth.

Can anyone recommend some more multi-dimensional music/lyrics? Thank you. Peace.

This is a really broad question, I'll answer you with my personal favourite band, Radiohead.

I think they have the deepest music of all time.

One of my favourite MC's right now is someone called Akala. He's from London.

I'm recommending him because you like Killah Priest.

My general advice would be to look at the influences of bands and artists who have that sort of depth of mind that you enjoy. Some personal recs would be: Joy Division, one of John's favs, Jeff Buckley, Frank Zappa/Captain Beefheart (if it's your sort of thing), Velvet Underground, a little known 60s psychedelic band called Wishbone Ash. If you havnt checked out Pet Sounds by the Beach Boys, that's a great popvalbum with a lot of intelligence behind it.

Jane Siberry, Ronnie Lane and Dave Davies (particularly his solo stuff, and check out all the cool stuff spiritual/healing work he's up to lately at davedavies.com) all seem to me very much kindred souls to John. Jane and Ronnie in particular followed similar paths of "throwing it all away" to pursue spirituality/authenticity in their creative work. I would put Pete Townshend (again, particularly his solo work) in a similar category, but he can be a bit ham-fisted at times compared to the subtlety going on in Lane's and Siberry's work, and Davies just seems a truly warm-hearted guy doing his best to find ways to spread peace and healing to the world at large through art, music, and his various online meditation/spirituality/emotional wellness type groups and Rock Spirit Radio podcast.

I will point out that if you check out Lane, he is very, very subtle, and approaches the spirituality of his work in a very Sufic manner -- ie., it's easy to miss the depth of his work if you take his words literally rather than metaphorically, but there IS a lot going on there for one with "eyes to see."

And it's really hard to surpass Leonard Cohen, in my estimation.

I suppose TMV and Omar's solo work are pretty obvious, so probably don't need mentioning, though Cedric's writing style can be a bit opaque.

1 person likes this

Thank you for the responses. Much appreciated. I'll check them out

Hi there!

You should check out an English band called 'James' they've been about since the mid 80s, prob stay away from their first few albums...check out the album 'Laid' ;)/>

I'll give you what I feel is an obvious answer overlooked by many: Pearl Jam. Just really look into any aspect of their music and it is the only one that compares to Johns for me. Lyrically and musically, they have more depth than any other band in modern music (IMO).

Nick Drake --> every frusciante fan should try something from "Five leafes left" or "Pink Moon"

Radiohead/Thom Yorke --> falsetto,usage of effects.Check out Amnesiac or In Rainbows

Björk --> Well,just try something from Vepertine,Homogenic or her last record

King Crimson -->1969-1974,especially The 1st 4 records

Captain Beefhaert --> Niandra-period

Syd Barrett --> Niandra period

Can --> for Ataxia-esque (repeating bass lines,guitar and vocals over the top)

1 person likes this

Ones not mentioned would be: Luke Abbott, Caribou, Gil-Scott Heron, J Dllla, Jeff Beck, Boards of Canada

Well, if you are looking for music that inspired John, I would suggest several artists that he covered during his acoustic tour in support of TROWFTD. Here is a small list:

R.E.M.

Radiohead

David Bowie

Lou Reed

Iggy Pop

Jimi Hendrix

Syd Barrett

Bad Brains

It's a nice diverse list of artists that have influenced him, ranging from punk to glam to more experimental rock.

/>Ones not mentioned would be: Luke Abbott, Caribou, Gil-Scott Heron, J Dllla, Jeff Beck, Boards of Canada

Caribou, totally! A great and humble guy with great depths in his music, both lyrically and instrumentally.

I filmed this in 2010...not the greatest video quality as the venue is horrible and I was literally standing where I could sniff his white-socked feet so I had to keep the camera high above my head, but just look at the things he's doing live. Splendid!

something with an m , military mandatory simple diet of stockhausen and birdsong young paduans!

I wonder if people who've posted here might elaborate on their various choices, cuz in reading this and thinking about the huge diversity of bands suggested, I can't help but wonder if A) we all mean the same thing with the word "depth", and B ) what other people see going on in these various bands that might be flying over my own or others' heads. I tried to get at that a bit myself with my comments on Ronnie Lane's music, because it seems to me most people casually listening to him with no background biographical info would never think to consider his lyrics in the metaphorical terms of Sufi poetry (of which he was an avid fan, as well as a devout follower of Meher Baba who was deeply influenced by Sufism and himself inclined to read a lot more into popular music lyrics of his era than most people are -- eg., he considered Cole Porter a divinely inspired poet-prophet, along with several old-time country western singers), but for those whose ears are pricked for such stuff, it's everywhere in his work.

Likewise, after posting this I also had thought I should have added R.E.M. to this list, but imagine most casual listeners aren't cluing into the subtle allusions Stipe makes to various poets and philosophers throughout so likely would never catch on that he's nodding to Nietzsche or WB Yeats or whoever.

So, I'd be interested to hear more about these various artists and what depth it is you guys perceive in them so I might notice it better myself.

i find the term 'depth' somewhat retarded i go by a fool can uter the same thing as a wiseman and really noone ever knows which it is i might just be able to form a well formed sentence yadayada you know the idiot savant cliché that being said i think the only thing that really brings 'depth' into art is the way an artist lives like stockhausen lived his nutty beliefs so it's not 'shallow' besides this in karlheinzkey=tchup's case his 'nutty beliefs' ("look atme i'm a teacher alien" )lend his work great freedom there was no context anymore anything formed whatever it wanted ,solely, to the listener. I think if you really want to speak about depth that's the necessary step, -the eye of the beholder- (on a mountain with a staff as lingers in visionary extasy ) . yeah well there you have it after nietzsche ( who i personally think is utter sewer poops ) who ultimately proved to be his own madman you can never trust any artist to have seen what you see in his art _it doesn't belong in ~modernity~_.

To be honest, I have never ever in my life thought “depth” of music in any way and couldn’t quite understand at first what this thread was about. Neither have I ever searched a “philosophy” from lyrics or even from books. Maybe so, cause I am not the most conceptualizing person anyways.

If I feel there is a message in the lyrics, the message is like a dream – a direct and the most personal letter I’ll ever receive - from myself to myself. If I feel there is some "depth" to sink in, that "depth" is like that of my dreams. It's a bit like when sun light reaches my eye. I, like you, don’t actually see the light itself. I only see how the light changed my retina and those changes I perceive as light. So the only thing reached by my eye is I. A strange kind of sight, isn’t it?

Adrian Belew - He has played with the likes of Frank Zappa, David Bowie, Talking Heads and King Crimson. He's a solo musician as well and has lots of depth in his music. I really think his 90's music is his best which is odd.

Talking Heads- Funky free feeling art with the zen of punk from the 70s'. This band is so much fucking fun. They have a lot of energy and kick ass music to boot.

David Bowie- I mean...pretty obvious. Listen to his stuff from the 70s'. "Low" is greeeat.

Joy Division- This band was previously mentioned and yes John is a huge fan of said band. They really do have a lot of "depth" as far as emotion goes.

Fred Frith- Music mad man mother fucker. The guy has composed some of the most interesting and mind altering music I have ever heard.

Residents- By far the most freaked out fucked up strange band I have the privlage to say I have seen live. They have been playing for 40+ years and have COUNTLESS albums. I think they have released more then 1 album every year since 1969. They are all anonymous. They generally consist of four guys(or girls) in eyeball suits. Who knows if the members have been constant? CHECK IT OUT!

Iggy pop- haters gonna hate. I love all of his albums. I mean ALL OF THEM. I own them as well. Free spirit. Free music. Should have some depth in it for you I hope.

You might also like.......................... Philip Glass, John Cale, Lou Reed, Velvet Underground, Isao Tomita, Lounge Lizards, Can, Kraftwerk, John Lennon(first two solo albums), George Harrison(His first album..the soundtrack one released in the 60s), Brian Eno, Amun Duul II...I could go on...

1 person likes this

I more than like the names mentioned above (Frith, Eno, Belew, Talking Heads, Amon Düül II and so on), but what the he…xagon is this “depth”? Is it a new concept for “music I like besides Frusciante’s”?

Cause I am swimming in some pretty deep waters now for not getting it… It seems I’ve missed something essential. And I have studied every line! :D/>

I thought the same, Nimi.

And this thing with he..xagon made me smile, thanks. :)/>