Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
anachronism

The Ultimate DIY JF Song Amp Settings/Equipment Thread

37 posts in this topic

Okay, so here's the deal. We all like to have our own sound, but it's pretty BA when you can make something sound like JF does, so if you've got a magic recipe for making something sound good, let us know!

Be sure to include the equipment you used, the settings on the equipment, the song and album!

(We are not looking for the official equipment used, just an easy way to replicate it, but if you have the real deal and you got the settings just right, be sure to tell us where you put all the knobs!)

Two different formats are used below to show the position of dials:

12:00 format will show the position of the knobs as if on a clock and will always have :00 or :30 at the end

1-10 format will show the position of the knobs as if out of 10, 1 being the lowest and 10 being the highest

If more than one effect is chained in a row, they are listed in the order they are chained.

Click the titles to jump to the original post (usually there are more details there).

Iva - if you could give me a hand keeping this up-to-date, I'd really appreciate it. I can't guarantee I'll check often enough to keep it updated.

RHCP Clean:

Amp modelling Fender Twin (clean):

Treble - 2:00

Mid - 1:00

Bass - 2:30

Reverb - 11:30

Frusciante Live:

English Muff'n:

Volume - 5

Gain - 3.5 (or at edge of breakup)

Treble - 5

Mid - 5

Bass - 6

Amp (clean):

Volume - variable

Preamp - 7

Treble - 4

Mid - 5

Bass - 7

Reverb - 3

Frusciante Empyrean:

DS2: Mode II

Distortion - max

Tone - 2:00

Level - 3:00

Big Muff Pi:

Sustain - 3:00

Tone - 2:00

Level - 3:00

Wilson Ten Spot II (maxed)

English Muff'n:

Gain - 11:00

Treble - 8:00

Mid - 4:00

Bass - 12:00

Jubilee Black Tolex 2558:

Input Gain - (max)

Output Master - 6 or greater

Mid - 8

Bass - 10

Presence - 4

Amp (british hi-gain overdriven):

Gain - 8

Treble - 3.5

Bass - 10

Frusciante/RHCP Live Dirty:

Telecaster on bridge pickup

WH-10 V2 (maxed, bypassed)

DS-2: Mode I

Level - 5:00

Tone - 1:00

Distortion - 3:00

Amp (clean):

Volume- 5

Treble - 3

Mids - 2

Bass - 7

Frusciante/RHCP Live Wah Solo:

WH-10 V2 maxed

Leve l- 5:00

Distortion- 3:00

Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus: (for BSSM album)

Speed - 8:00

Chill - 11:00 to 2:00 sounds good

Amp (drive):

Volume - 5

Gain - 5

Treble - 3

Mids - 2

Bass - 7

Frusciante/RHCP Live Solo:

Level - 5:00

Distortion - 3:00

NYC Big Muff Pi:

Volume - 12:00

Sustain - 12:00

Amp (clean):

Volume - 5

Treble - 3

Mids - 2

Bass - 7

Under the Bridge:

Amp (British clean):

Volume - 6.25

Treble - 8.25

Mid - 3

Bass - 5.5

Stratocaster (neck):

Volume - 8 (down to 7 after the first measure with vocals starts)

Tone - 9.5

Blood Sugar Sex Magik (album)

Pod:

Amp Model - Brit classic:

Cab Model - Vintage 30's

Drive - 2:00

Treble: - Max

Middle - 3:00

Bass - 3:00

Reverb - 1:00

Boss DS-2: Turbo Mode

Level - 1:30

Tone - Max

Distortion - Max

Ibanez WH10v2:

Depth: Max

DOD chorus

Speed - 9:00

Delay time - 3:00

Depth - 4:00

Guitar:

Volume - 6:00

Tone - Max

2 people like this

I like the clean sound from his RHCP work. So I took the "TWN"-channel of my Peavey Vypyr 15w, which is supposed to simulate the Fender Twin amp. I added a little reverb (11:30). Lows are 2:30, mids 1, highs 2. As I prefer to play my Fender Lite Ash Strat most of the time (I own a Michael Kelly Patriot Shadow too, a Les Paul copy which I love in a different way but not less than my strat) that's how I get a sound "close" to JFs. Well, I think it's the closest you can get with this amplifier.

Some day in the next few years I want to get my hands on a '62 vintage strat. I played it in a store when an employee gave it to me after I said I'd like to play an American Strat. I don't want it because John plays an original strat from 1962, I just want it cause it felt so perfect.

My JF 'live' tone: (numbers are 0 - 10 10 being the highest setting the knob does)

Strat, neck pickup, all knobs on 10.

into english muff'n pedal with the volume at 5, and the gain around 3-4 (at the edge of breakup) bass at 6, mids at 5, and highs at 5

Into my Marshall JTM30 clean channel, preamp on 7, master volume as gig requires, bass on 7, mids on 5, highs on 4, reverb on 3

it may be weird but the best sound i've ever had is from an old 10(or maybe 15) watts squier that somehow gives me this incredible dirty and mean fuzz i set the bass at 10 an the treble at around 7/8 (it doesn't even have middles)

i believe in crohno. as far as tone in concerned, my best actually came through a fender frontman 15g.

Custom telecaster on '59 bridge pickup (neck is a p90)

into wh-10 on 100% guitar effect

into boss ds-2 on mode 1 : level at 5 oclock, tone at 1 oclock, distortion at 3 oclock

into big muf pi (off)

danelectro cool cat chorus (off)

with the wah off my clean signal is obviously interrupted, but the ds-2 picks the signal back up and gives it tons of bite. its transformed into a killer dirty sound...think "Easily," "Minor Thing," or a live version of "Scar Tissue"

if i engage the big muff i can get that solo tone that we all love...yesterday i cranked out a pretty good "strip my mind" solo

with the wh-10, ds-2, and cool cat chorus on, and the amp on its distortion channel, i could achieve the highly sought after (at least in my book) "dani california" solo tone. with the right chorus settings you can do crazy things with these three pedals. even mars volta stuff is do-able.

the wah ds-2 and big muff is all a bit much at the same time for the little solid state amp, so i didnt mess around much there

the real star is this stupid little amp though. i can't get these kinds of tones on my tube amps unless i crank them to high heaven. and after i do that i cant even stand in the same room. this $60 fender amp blasted nearly the same tone with a quarter of the volume. the settings on the amp are pretty strange... Volume anywhere between 3-6...it doesnt seem to matter, its not tube. Distortion for the disto channel is set around 6. Bass is set to 7, Mids to 2, Highs to 3 (My bass player had it set this way). I know it sounds odd and/or impossible, but trust me, this little thing kicks ass.

I dont think this would help, but here is my live set up:

Tokai Goldstar Strat(Neck Pickup) --> DS-2 (II mode, Dist Full, Tone 14:00, Level 15:00) --> Big Muff (Sustain 15:00, Tone 14:00, Level 15:00)

--> Wilson Ten spot II(100%) --> English Muff'n(Gain 11:00, Treble 8:00, Mid 16:00, Bass 12:00)

--> Jubilee Black tolex 2558 (Input Gain Full, Output Master no lowe than 6, Mid 8, Bass 10, Presence 4)

This gets me a pretty dam close tone to frusciante, but i like to think of it as my own ;)/>

When recording:

Using a Fender Super Champ XD Bass 10 Treble 3.5

This is what it sounds like:

Inspired by Before the Begining.

Enjoy!

I dont think this would help, but here is my live set up:

Tokai Goldstar Strat(Neck Pickup) --> DS-2 (II mode, Dist Full, Tone 14:00, Level 15:00) --> Big Muff (Sustain 15:00, Tone 14:00, Level 15:00)

--> Wilson Ten spot II(100%) --> English Muff'n(Gain 11:00, Treble 8:00, Mid 16:00, Bass 12:00)

--> Jubilee Black tolex 2558 (Input Gain Full, Output Master no lowe than 6, Mid 8, Bass 10, Presence 4)

This gets me a pretty dam close tone to frusciante, but i like to think of it as my own ;)/>

When recording:

Enjoy!

so by 14:00 you mean 2:00, right?

When recording:

Enjoy!

What amp setting is the Super Champ on?

Crohno and fenderfunk, can you try to clean your suggestions up to something I can add to the list?

^ Sure

Frusciante/RHCP Live Dirty:

Telecaster on bridge pickup

WH-10 V2 (maxed but off, dulls the cleans, DS-2 adds bite)

DS-2 (mode 1):

Level- 5:00

Tone- 1:00

Fender Frontman 15g (clean setting)

Volume- 5

Bass-7

Mids-2

Highs-3

Frusciante/RHCP Live Wah Solo

WH-10 V2 maxed

DS-2 (mode 1):

Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus (optional but sounds great, especially for BSSM songs)

Speed- 8:00

Chill- 11:00 to 2:00 sounds good

Fender Frontman 15g (distortion channel)

Volume- 5

Distortion- 5

Bass-7

Mids-2

Highs-3

Frusciante/RHCP Live Solo

DS-2 (mode 1):

NYC Big Muff Pi

Volume- 12:00

Sustain- 12:00

Fender Frontman 15g (clean setting)

Volume- 5

Bass-7

Mids-2

Highs-3

all settings are designed for loudish bedroom volumes (no tube amps)

When recording:

Enjoy!

What amp setting is the Super Champ on?

Crohno and fenderfunk, can you try to clean your suggestions up to something I can add to the list?

For that i used Voice 8, Gain 8, with a Ten Spot II with the volume on my guitar backed down to about 3-5.

Under the Bridge:

Amp (Blackstar HT-5 combo) (clean):

Volume - 6.25

Treble - 8.25

Mid - 3

Bass - 5.5 (on the tick mark past halfway on an HT-5)

ISF - 10

(No reverb hooked up, I'll spec it out for a Nano Holy Grail later.)

Mexi Strat w/EJ Strat Pickups (neck):

Volume - 8 (down to 7 after the first measure with vocals starts)

Tone - 9.5

Anybody have a special combo for A If you have to ask tone? :X

Anybody have a special combo for A If you have to ask tone? :X

not a whole lot to this tone. just pick a clean setting on an amp, maybe some compression, and play with a funk muting technique

i was thinking about making a cover of that in a few days, but im guessing just a strat/tele through a lightly overdriven/distorted amp. once i figure it out exactly ill post it here

Does anyone have here a good amp setting for the BSSM-songs on a Pod 2.0?? Because I'm struggling to get this tone. I already got a very good setting for the rhcp-songs from 1999 to 2006 but I don't know how to get the BSSM sound. Please help me!

man.. you have everything to get that tone. strat, wh10, ds2 and pod with jcm800 and plexi simulations. where is your problem :)/>

are you sure that you play this song correctly? maybe thats problem :P/>

yeah you have all the ingredients. maybe throw some chorus in there

Well I just traded my Boss RC-20XL to a boss CS-3 Monte Allums modded compressor.. It totaly nails the compressed sound from Under the Brigde studio version atleast.. I'm at my school now, so I can't tell you all the settings

man.. you have everything to get that tone. strat, wh10, ds2 and pod with jcm800 and plexi simulations. where is your problem :)/>

are you sure that you play this song correctly? maybe thats problem :P/>

It's ok! :D/> I found a very very good setting today by myself. I guess it's (for me) the ultimate setting for the whole BSSM Album!

If want to know my setting, here it is:

Pod:

Amp Model: Brit classic

Cab Model: Vintage 30's

Drive:2 o'clock

Bass: 3 o'clock

Middle: about 3 o'clock

Treble: All the way

Reverb: 1 o'clock

Boss Ds2 I'm a bit experimenting with that pedal,if you have a setting that sounds better please tell me, my current setting is: TURBO MODE

Level 1-2 o'clock

Tone All the way

Distortion:All the way

Ibanez wh10v2:

Depth: all the way

DOD chorus

Speed:9 o' clock

Dly time: 3 o' clock

Depth: 4 o' clock

Guitar:

Vol: 6

Tone: All the way

I hope this setting helps you all as it helped me!

for anything chili peppers i actually like to use mode 1 on the ds-2, with distortion around 9 oclock, tone around 2 oclock, and level around 5 or 6

for thicker solos i might run the distortion up to 2 or 3, but for a regular solos and for use with the wh-10 i like less

How come you doesn't use the turbo mode.. ehm to me that is what define most of his distorted sound :o/>

unless im running it through a cranked amp the turbo mode just sounds too boxy. mode 1 is clearer, more articulate, and cuts better than the muddled turbo mode sound.

unless im running it through a cranked amp the turbo mode just sounds too boxy. mode 1 is clearer, more articulate, and cuts better than the muddled turbo mode sound.

dude, for an ULTIMATE DIY JF settings thread, saying not to use the turbo mode is blasphemy!

The ultimacy may have been exaggerated. (This is Post #25, by the way.)